Tuesday, June 12, 2012

     A few months ago when the weather was still brisk and cold early in the morning, I got off the bus and walked the block to my office.  I was walking through the parking lot toward my office door and slowed my pace as I noticed a young girl with a backpack in front of the building.  She was about 20ish, very lean, long mousy brown hair, and wearing a tanktop.  I watched the people going into the building treating her with distain because she was asking for money.  I was stunned at their attitudes. My heart was broken and I didn't know what hurt worse; the little girl needing help or the sadness of how society has become so calloused.
     Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  I don't deceive myself into believing everyone views life the same way I do, but I do know that everyone has the instinct to help each other if they haven't stifled it with smugness and self absorption. 
     I have always been one to try and be sensitive to the moving of the Holy Spirit on a daily basis and when I saw this girl I was filled with compassion. When I approached her and asked her what she needed. She was very sad and shivering  as she told me she had come to the area for a funeral for a family member and she was trying to get bus money to get home. I gave her money for food and some extra cash to help with her travels and when she looked at me tears filled her eyes.  I told her to wait there for a minute and I went inside to my room and got an old sweater I keep there.  I took it out and helped her put it on. She choked up with emotion.  I told her to go get something to eat and stay warm and "may God bless you in everything you do".  She was speechless but said thank you and walked away. 
     Was I a hero that day?  I think not.  I am just like anybody else and could have easily walked away from her and pretended not to see her, I could have judged her and not helped.  I prayed for her that day and maybe just maybe, the little insignificant gesture may have changed the direction of her life and had given her hope. 

Phillipians 5:4 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank-you, Barbara, for inspiring to watch for needs and to do what is right. This really reminded me of the Good Samaritan example which Jesus gave.

      Congratulations on starting a blog! May it become a huge blessing to you as the years go by. Hugs, Debra

      Delete